Open Cheese "No camera found"

Discussion in 'Bug Report' started by linuxghost, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxghost

linuxghost New Member
    User

No cheese! ;-)
    Code:
    apr 13 15:37:55 ghostmob-local cheese[9178]: cheese-application.vala:211: Error during camera setup: Geen camera gevonden
    apr 13 15:37:55 ghostmob-local cheese[9178]: cheese_camera_device_get_name: assertion 'CHEESE_IS_CAMERA_DEVICE (device)' failed
    apr 13 15:37:55 ghostmob-local cheese[9178]: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
    apr 13 15:37:55 ghostmob-local cheese[9178]: g_variant_ref_sink: assertion 'value != NULL' failed
    apr 13 15:37:55 ghostmob-local cheese[9178]: g_settings_schema_key_type_check: assertion 'value != NULL' failed
    apr 13 15:37:55 ghostmob-local cheese[9178]: g_variant_get_type_string: assertion 'value != NULL' failed
    apr 13 15:37:55 ghostmob-local cheese[9178]: g_settings_set_value: key 'camera' in 'org.gnome.Cheese' expects type 's', but a GVariant of type '(null)' was given
    apr 13 15:37:55 ghostmob-local cheese[9178]: g_variant_unref: assertion 'value != NULL' failed
    apr 13 15:37:55 ghostmob-local cheese[9178]: cheese_preferences_dialog_setup_resolutions_for_device: assertion 'device != NULL' failed

ALso the no-entry traffic sign when trying to change the user picture with webcam.
    Code:
    pipewire[8300]: [E][module-protocol-native.c:278 connection_data()] protocol-native 0x5586af948d90: got connection error
    Could it be related?
    Webcam stream thru vlc and guvcview works ok...

2. frederic2ec

frederic2ec Frédéric C.
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator User

Hi,
    This sort of error come for connection error.. Look like bad usb or driver. Have you tried to change the usb port used? What is the model of your webcam? Check out the wiki, to see if you can find your answer on it : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/webcam_setup

Thank you.

3. linuxghost

linuxghost New Member
    User

Merci for your answer Frédéric.
    I can't change the usb port because it's a built-in camera, this one;
    Code:
    *-usb
                          description: Video
                          product: WebCam SCB-1100N
                          vendor: 123
                          physical id: 4
                          bus info: [email protected]:1.4
                          version: 0.19
                          capabilities: usb-2.00
                          configuration: driver=uvcvideo maxpower=500mA speed=480Mbit/s

I have checked the wiki but that didn't help me any further.
    As i wrote
    So perhaps the user pictures settings in Gnome Settings as well as cheese use a different method of connecting than vlc and guvcview?

4. linuxghost

linuxghost New Member
    User

----------------------------------------------------------------8<------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit; Small progress; I disabled pipewire;
    Code:
    sudo systemctl --global disable pipewire.socket

Now the picture is shown for a very short time.
    I installed Skype and that worked OOtB!

#4 linuxghost, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  5. frederic2ec

frederic2ec Frédéric C.
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator User

Hi,
    Did the problems is fixed? Just let me know if you have fixed everything.

Thank you!

6. linuxghost

linuxghost New Member
    User

No the problem was not fixed unfortunately. On my laptop i have a picture for about half a second, then "Playing the webcam-video failed" (that's a translation nl->en) On my workstation it does work with a usb webcam but the usb webcam does not work on my laptop; the same problem, only a very short image. My grandchildren loved to play with cheese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.